For a couple of months users of Android phones have been able to test xCloud streaming in a select amount of countries. Yesterday Microsoft and Samsung announced a partnership on xCloud and the new Samsung Galaxy S20.
Today Larry Hryb, also known as Major Nelson, reveals that testing for iOS users is starting today. But, there are some caveats.
– Only in the US, UK and Canada
– Does not include Xbox Console streaming (streaming from your console to your phone)
– Only one game is playable ”due to App Store policy”, which is the Master Chief Collection
– Only up to 10,000 testers will be allowed in the programs, due to Apples strict TestFlight preview regulations
– When accepted in the preview you won’t automatically have access to the testing for the whole period the preview is live
It’s obvious by now that the Apple & AppStore ecosystem is much more strict regarding beta programs than Google and Android. This leads to a number of restrictions for the xCloud beta. All information on the beta and how to sign up can be found here.